what is it?
Would you like to practice conversational English?
Would you like to meet US students on campus and help them with their foreign language skills?
Would you like to learn more about American culture?
Native English Speakers:
Would you like to practice your conversational skills in a language you are studying?
Would you like to learn about someone else’s culture and mentor a visiting student?
Would you like to study abroad or have you returned from study abroad and wish to continue language conversation practice?
If you answered YES to any of these questions, apply to the Conversation Partner Program!
The North Central College Conversation Partner Program is designed to encourage and support cross-cultural discussion between international students and native English speakers at NCC. The goal of this program is not only to provide time for language practice but also to create the opportunity for meaningful interaction between US and international students.
How to apply
- Complete the Conversation Partner Program Application. Bring the application to the Office of International Programs, Abe House, 48 E. Jefferson Avenue.
- The Office of International Programs will contact you once you have been matched with a conversation partner. You will receive an email with your partner’s email and phone. He or she will receive a similar email. You will be responsible for contacting each other.
- After you are matched, meet as often as you want, based on your schedules. Most students meet once a week. For example, many people meet for an hour in one language or spend half an hour speaking English and the other half an hour speaking the other language.
- When you first meet with your conversation partner, meet in a common place that you are both comfortable with.
- If you have problems contacting your partner, please let us know as soon as possible, so we can help fix any problems.